These days, every single auto insurance company claims you could save money on your car insurance by switching to their policy. The reality is that there are so many insurance companies out there, and too many variables for any one insurance company to make a blanket claim that they offer the best auto insurance rates. The only way to get the best possible auto insurance is to seek out competitive auto insurance quotes.
1) One method to get the most competitive auto insurance quote is to know what type of policy coverage you want. Not all auto insurance policies are equal. While one auto insurance policy you get quoted for may indeed be a lower price, it may not cover collision damage for example. Narrow down your search field to only search for the polices that fit what you need out of a policy. You likely want at the least a new policy that offers the same coverage you have now, if not better and at a lower rate. If you own a home, find out about discounts from bundling (combining your auto and homeowners insurance) together.
2) Only get quotes from reputable car insurance companies. Do your due diligence and check into each company. Make sure you know if there are any reliable complaints from customers or consumer watch dog groups. Reputable insurance companies will provide quotes to anyone through the Internet, mail, or via the phone, not just online.
3) Compare quotes online. While it may be convenient to go to your local brick and motor car insurance agency that your familiar with, online auto insurance quote shopping is an invaluable tool to find the best rates. Some websites will offer you multiple auto insurance quotes by submitting your information to multiple insurers at once. Insurance policies, coverage and premiums can vary widely, so these websites are an invaluable tool for you to compare not only rates, but policies and coverage as well. The savings might not be high per month, but yearly the savings can be quite substantial, from $200.00 to $400.00 dollars per year per policy.
4) Negotiate. Shopping online can be an easy way to get quotes for auto insurance, but you are not talking to a live human being, merely fed bits of server code. If you get a live rep on the phone you can often times get them to offer you a better deal than what the major websites advertise. When you call the insurance company state that such and such auto insurance was offering to insure you for $XXX amount and see what they have to say. Mention your driving record if it is good, also if you car has any anti theft devices installed above and beyond what the card came with. You can also request higher deductible to save even more money on your insurance, if you feel confident that you will not get into an accident. Increasing your deductible from $300 to $600 can save you 15 to 30 percent on your coverage costs. If you do decide to go with a higher deductible, make sure that you can come up with the deductible should the worst thing happen and you do end up in an accident and need to meet your deductible.
5) Choose your vehicle very carefully. If you are driving a sports car or an SUV be aware that insurance companies will charge you a premium to drive one. Insurance premiums take into account not only the risk factor tied to a make and model of a vehicle, but also its total cost. Another factor is how often a certain make and model is stolen. Choosing a car that costs less to repair or replace will save you money on your auto insurance quote.